Uninstall Problems

Developer
Aug 24, 2007 at 3:36 PM
Per the recommendation on this site, I installed the Repository Factory on a test PC using the following advice: "The easiest way to install the package is to compile the setup project and run the resulting MSI."

Today, I then went to add/remove programs and uninstalled it accordingly. Starting Visual Studio gave me an error that a RecipeFramework Assembly was missing asking me to disable a package.

Instead I thought I would repair / uninstall the GAT. That gave me an error saying the same assembly was missing and wouldn't allow me to uninstall or repair it.

I then re-ran the installation of GAX, specifying repair, and it ran fine. I then for kicks repaired GAT, which then worked fine.

Starting Visual Studio then worked with no problems. I was then also able to install an updated version of the Repository Factory.

The conclusion - something is wrong with the Data Access Guidance Package uninstall routine. It is removing something it shouldn't that is a part of GAX.

I am guessing I will have the same problem when I go to uninstall and re-install a new version again.

Regards,

Dave

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#
Aug 24, 2007 at 6:33 PM
Edited Aug 24, 2007 at 6:34 PM
Can you give me the actual error message? "Some assembly was missing" isn't very helpful to track this down. In any event, I'll have our QA person start trying to repro the problem.
Developer
Aug 24, 2007 at 6:40 PM
Unfortunately, I didn't copy or write down the message. I was too busy trying to fix the problem :)

I just remember the words "...RecipeFramework.." in the message and was more or less mentioning it here in case someone else came across the error and didn't know how to get around it.

I will probably get the error again the next time I do the uninstall, so I will forward it to you then.

Regards,

Dave

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#
Aug 24, 2007 at 7:00 PM
Yeah, I understand. GAX includes at least four DLL's with the word "RecipeFramework" in it, so we need a little more to go on.
Sep 11, 2007 at 4:17 AM
Hi,

It seems, uninstall is removing the following dlls from Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies

Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.PackageManagement
Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio
Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Common

Regards,

Surya

ctavares wrote:
Yeah, I understand. GAX includes at least four DLL's with the word "RecipeFramework" in it, so we need a little more to go on.