Installs - But not visible in Visual Studio

Aug 26, 2007 at 6:44 AM
I have installed, uninstalled (all the way down to Ent.Lib 3.1) and back again. I get no install errors. But when I start Visual Studio, and go to create a new project, and choose the Data Solution Package in the Guidance Package selection, there's nothing there.

I have WCSF, and Workflow installed, and if I choose those as my Guidance Package I see various choices.

Any suggestions? Or am I trying to use this incorrectly? (Some documentation would be helpful ...)
Developer
Aug 26, 2007 at 3:19 PM
I suspect it won't work with the other software factories until they get the Repository Factory running on GAX 1.2, which is what all the other current software factories use.

Here is a thread I started earlier that may clarify things: GAT and GAX July 2007 CTP Required???

Hope this helps,

Dave

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#
Aug 26, 2007 at 11:22 PM
Actually, the "issue" is that the repository factory doesn't include a solution template. It's intended to work with existing projects, not create your own.

So, create a solution, or open an existing one. Then, go to the Guidance Package Manager (under the VS Tools menu), hit the "Enable/Disable guidance packages" button, and select the Repository factory.

Once you've done that, if you right click on the projects in the solution explorer, you'll see a Repository Factory menu, and you should be off and running. The first thing you'll want to do is assign the host (where your connection strings live), entity (where your data types live) and data access (where your repository classes live) responsibilities. This enables various recipes for each project.

If that doesn't get you started, let me know. We're working on extracting the docs from the Service Factory chm.