Relationships

Oct 5, 2007 at 5:48 PM
I watched all of the screencasts, and am very impressed with the framework. I do have a question regarding relationships between entities, though. I understand that the Repository Factory is not meant to be a full blown O/R mapping solution like NHibernate, nor am I looking for one. However, all of the examples I've seen of code generation involve creating Entities that don't contain references to other entities. For example, if I have an Employees table (Employee entity) and have a foreign key to a Departments table (Department entity), the framework will just geenrate each entity in isolation, meaning an Employee object only has an DepartmentId property, not a reference to a Department class.

Is this functionality that already exists, functionality that will be implemented, or simply something outside the scope of the project which shouldn't be implemented.

Thanks, and thanks for a great framework,
Brian K
Oct 11, 2007 at 8:00 PM
The relationship mapping stuff was deliberately declared out of scope for the original development. You can do it, but you have to code it by hand. There's a good example of doing this in the Web Service Software Factory ASMX reference implementation.

Lots of people have asked for this functionality; hopefully at least some of them will also help to make it a reality.

-Chris