Installation Error in latest MSI

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:46 PM
Hi, I just downloaded the MSI for the Data Access Guidance Package and tried to install it and got an error message saying "Unable to get installer types in the c:\program files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies\Microsoft.Practices.RepositoryFactory.Installer.dll assembly -> Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the Load Exceptions property for more informatiion.

I am using VS2005 Team Suite on Windows XP SP2. I have previously installed GAX 1.3 and the Service Factory latest edition and that works alright..

Any ideas?
Thanks
Benjy
Oct 6, 2007 at 5:02 PM
Do you have the stacktrace from the load exception?

Benny
Oct 6, 2007 at 5:41 PM
Also, is there any chance you could run fuslogvw and post the assembly resolution log? That'd make it easier for us to tell what it's trying to load from where.

-Chris
Oct 7, 2007 at 3:32 PM
Hi,
I got same error message.
Below is fuslogvw log.

-Petri

• Assembly Binder Log Entry (7.10.2007 @ 17:20:28) ***

The operation failed.
Bind result: hr = 0x80070002. The system cannot find the file specified.

Assembly manager loaded from: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorwks.dll
Running under executable C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsiExec.exe
--- A detailed error log follows.

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: User = IBARI\pete
LOG: DisplayName = Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework, Version=1.3.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
(Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/WINDOWS/system32/
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL
LOG: Dynamic Base = NULL
LOG: Cache Base = NULL
LOG: AppName = NULL
Calling assembly : Microsoft.Practices.RepositoryFactory.Installer, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null.
===
LOG: This bind starts in LoadFrom load context.
WRN: Native image will not be probed in LoadFrom context. Native image will only be probed in default load context, like with Assembly.Load().
LOG: No application configuration file found.
LOG: Using host configuration file: C:\DOCUME~1\pete\LOCALS~1\Temp\CFG47D.tmp
LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\config\machine.config.
LOG: Post-policy reference: Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework, Version=1.3.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
LOG: GAC Lookup was unsuccessful.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/WINDOWS/system32/Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/WINDOWS/system32/Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework/Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/WINDOWS/system32/Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/WINDOWS/system32/Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework/Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio 8/Common7/IDE/PublicAssemblies/Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.DLL.
LOG: Assembly download was successful. Attempting setup of file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies\Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.dll
LOG: Entering run-from-source setup phase.
LOG: Assembly Name is: Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework, Version=1.2.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
WRN: Comparing the assembly name resulted in the mismatch: Minor Version
ERR: The assembly reference did not match the assembly definition found.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio 8/Common7/IDE/PublicAssemblies/Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework/Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio 8/Common7/IDE/PublicAssemblies/Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio 8/Common7/IDE/PublicAssemblies/Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework/Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.EXE.
LOG: All probing URLs attempted and failed.
Oct 8, 2007 at 4:41 PM
One thing that worked for me was to install the Respoitory Factory from the source. The setup file can be found here:
{source folder}\Data Access Guidance Package\Data Access Guidance Package Setup\Debug\setup.exe
Oct 8, 2007 at 6:36 PM
Benny,
Im not sure how to get the stacktrace from the exception actually.. all i got was a message box with that error. I will run fuslog later this evening and send the output but its probably going to be like the output data shown above in pehkopes post.
I'll try running it from setup as well.

thanks
benjy

eprime wrote:
One thing that worked for me was to install the Respoitory Factory from the source. The setup file can be found here:
{source folder}\Data Access Guidance Package\Data Access Guidance Package Setup\Debug\setup.exe

Oct 8, 2007 at 10:06 PM

pehkope wrote:
Hi,
I got same error message.
Below is fuslogvw log.

-Petri

• Assembly Binder Log Entry (7.10.2007 @ 17:20:28) ***

LOG: DisplayName = Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework, Version=1.3.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
(Fully-specified)

LOG: Assembly Name is: Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework, Version=1.2.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a

I've trimmed the log in the quote above.

I'd like to ask: Is the log date correct? If so, this was against an old version. The error is "We need GAX 1.3, you have GAX 1.2". We've since fixed that in the final release.

Are you still getting this error with the current bits?

-Chris
Oct 9, 2007 at 4:57 AM
Yes, Log date is correct (Seventh of october). I was using current bits.

Petri
Oct 9, 2007 at 6:31 AM
I'll have a look on the problem.

I dont understand why you get this error. The code clearly says it shouldnt be version-spesific.

Benny
Oct 9, 2007 at 6:48 AM
Benny,

Did the machine you compiled the MSI on have GAX 1.2 or 1.3?

We ran into this on the Web Client factory. If you compile the MSI on a machine with 1.3, the resulting GP will require 1.3 even if the code says SpecificVersion = false (or whatever the switch is ;-)).

If compiled on a machine with GAX 1.2, it'll run with 1.2 or 1.3 on the machine.

Argh, GAX can be rather annoying at times.

-Chris
Oct 9, 2007 at 7:07 AM
I was afraid of this. I cant see any wrong in the dependencies on my buildmachine today, but like you say, I have GAX 1.3.

I checked it at work yesterday, and it looked fine there. I'll build it on my workmachine and ship it in a couple of hours.

Sorry for the inconvience, guys.

Benny

It looks like the sun is gonna shine in Stavanger today.
Oct 9, 2007 at 9:49 AM
Edited Oct 9, 2007 at 9:49 AM
Release new version of the installer. Its now build on GAX 1.2 but still SpecificVersion = false, which should bring the problem to a end.

Benny

The sun is shining and its 2 degrees celcius outside.
Oct 9, 2007 at 9:59 PM
Hi,
the installation now proceeds smoothly. Thanks for sorting this out so quickly.

By the way, what should i expect to see inside Visual Studio now? I dont have any option like "Repository Factory" under the Guidance Packages in the New Project options (i have Application Block Factory, Service Factory ASMX, WCF etc). Will this just come up when i start a new service factory project or a blank solution?

Thanks,
Benjy
Oct 10, 2007 at 3:05 PM
You won't see an option for the Repository Factory under New Projects > Guidance Packages.

Instead, load or create a new solution in Visual Studio and then activate the Repository Factory Guidance Package on the solution by:

1. Going to the Tools Menu
  2. Choosing Guidance Package Manager
  3. Click Enable / Disable Packages Button...
  4. Choose the Repository Factory Guidance Package

I have created 2 screencasts that might be useful to understanding the guidance package and the code:

Regards,

Dave

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#
PnPGuidance
Oct 11, 2007 at 5:44 PM
Hi David,
Thanks for getting back. I have downloaded the screencasts and am going to watch them as soon as possible.
I saw the others on the first Data Access Package and they were very useful
Thanks again for providing so much info the community...
Rgds,
Benjy
Oct 13, 2007 at 1:09 AM
I get the same error.

Oct 13, 2007 at 1:44 AM
Actually my error is in trying to install the Data Access Guidance package
Oct 13, 2007 at 1:51 AM
I tried from the source code as well.

"The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2869."

Same error as the download.

This is too bad , I was looking forward to using it (Although I'm losing some confidence!)
Oct 15, 2007 at 11:34 PM

SteveGentile wrote:
I tried from the source code as well.

"The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2869."

Same error as the download.

This is too bad , I was looking forward to using it (Although I'm losing some confidence!)

I had the same error in my development machine. I have Vista intalled on it and the Repository Factory Build 12356.
I resolved the problem installing the Enterprise Library May 2007 release and then opening a Command Prompt using the right button of the mouse and chosing "Run As Administrator".
I changed to the folder where DataAccessGuidancePackageSetup.msi is.
Then I typed msiexec /i DataAccessGuidancePackageSetup.msi

The installation finished successfully.
I hope this could help you.
Oct 16, 2007 at 4:17 AM
Hi,

I am getting this error if I try to install using the MSI installer which is currently available for download

The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2869

Any idea how to get rid of this error ?

I am running Vista Ultimate and have installed Web Services Software Factory and also have MS Patterns and Practices April DVD
Oct 16, 2007 at 5:19 AM
Same old UAC problem

Got the answer from here - http://blogs.msdn.com/donsmith/archive/2006/11/30/installing-software-factories-on-vista.aspx

Got it installed :D
Oct 16, 2007 at 6:27 AM
Edited Oct 16, 2007 at 6:36 AM
Doing changes on the setupfile as we speak.

I found the same answer as you, so no i have added at custom script to deal with the UAC problem.

Regards
Benny

UPDATE
I have replaced the faulty msi with a new version that should correct the problems, i've someone could test the new MSI on vista and report the results the would be doing me a big favour.
Oct 16, 2007 at 7:12 AM
Benny,

I just downloaded the latest version and installed in Windows Vista Ultimate with no problems. The UAC windows pops up asking permission to continue and the installation was successful!!

Thanks,
Luis
Oct 16, 2007 at 7:57 AM
Thanks Benny :)

Nice to see it getting sorted !
Mar 3, 2008 at 9:46 AM
Moin Moin.

Interesting.
But neither downloading the msi from "http://www.codeplex.com/RepositoryFactory/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=7429" ("runtime binary, 716K, uploaded Oct 16 2007 - 5656 downloads ") nor just using "add and remove programmes" did allow me to deinstall it, in order to install gax 1.4.
Does anyone have a solution for this problem, or am I just misunderstanding Your propositions.
_Tschuess,
__Michael.

santoshbenjamin wrote:
Hi,
the installation now proceeds smoothly. Thanks for sorting this out so quickly.

By the way, what should i expect to see inside Visual Studio now? I dont have any option like "Repository Factory" under the Guidance Packages in the New Project options (i have Application Block Factory, Service Factory ASMX, WCF etc). Will this just come up when i start a new service factory project or a blank solution?

Thanks,
Benjy